Sunday 14 August 2011

Time for Contacts

So for a while now Granny has been talking about retraining my contacts and I have to say I've no real idea what that meant but over the last two days because we've been at home I think I've found out!

The other day she was busy making something but I wasn't sure what it was, but now I've been introduced to it and scary as it looked its actually good fun.

The thing with contacts is they get in the way of running fast, it seems a shame to spoil a good run with having to stop on the end of a plank of wood.  So generally I get about half way down and jump off cos then I can go faster, but Granny tries to make me hit the bit at the end so the safest thing to do is make sure I come down slowly.  But when I do this although shes pleased she doesn't seem really happy.

Apparently this new technique will teach me how to run down the contacts as fast as I like without missing the bit at the bottom.  If I do that Granny says everyone will be happy.  Seems easy to me. So whats it all about.

First thing is to get used to the new bit of training equipment.  Its a mix between a square made out of PVC pipe and a contact hoop made out of a pipe insulator.  The thinking behind this is that the hoop stops the jumping and the square gets my feet right.  As time goes on you can then change the hoop to clear tube or take it away and just leave the square. We have also lowered the A frame and dog walk so I can run across them without to much effort.

So here's the first video which is just getting the hang of it and seeing what works and what doesn't.  The main thing is I can't get it wrong.  Granny and Mikey always struggled to make sure they rewarded me when I got it right, with this I don't get it wrong.  What it does mean is that by moving the hoop to different places I can perfect exactly whats right, and I can do it as fast as I can.




So the real question is will it work, I guess the answer is only time will tell.  It will take time so Granny says she doesn't expect to see any real results until next year

1 comment:

  1. Looking good Billy! I used the 'hoops' for training running contacts with Heidi last winter, they did work but I found her too fast to cope with! Lol. One things for sure, she never misses an up contact which i'm convinced is from using them! Good Luck with it :)

    ReplyDelete